Service Connection, Disconnection & Locates


Policy and fees apply for taps that need to be connected or disconnected.  A Property must be Included within the District’s Boundary prior to connection.   A permit to connect the authorized tap is also required.

Connection and Disconnection requires working with District representatives for planning and inspection(s).  Please see Policies located on this website and/or call the District Office regarding the inclusion process, which is summarized below:

1.  Property owner petitions District for inclusion and pays inclusion fee.

2. Notice for Petition Hearing is published.

3. Petition Hearing is held at a regular Board Meeting.

4. Petition is filed with District Court and Court Orders the Inclusion

5. Jefferson County processes the Inclusion Order and the property becomes subject to District’s mil levy on the next assessment cycle.

After the Inclusion of property, all owners of the property and the tap (both the tap and property must have identical title) will apply for a permit to connect to that the tap will be able to become active.  The permit process will guide the construction of the water line, the connection to the existing main or lateral, inspection(s), and finally a meter will be installed and the water can be turned on.  If the property to be served is located near a Lateral, the Lateral owners must grant permission by signing the tap permit application.

The tap permit application fee is currently a minimum of $800–which includes 1 inspection and a new meter–all direct costs will be added; the property owner is responsible for installing the service line, yoke, valves, meter pit (if required), connection components needed to tap the main or the Lateral water line, and all related locates, excavation, and plumbing.  The District’s engineer and/or Operations will be required to review and approve the site and utility plans, proposed points of connections, materials to be utilized, location of corporation stop and shut-off valves, location of meter and/or meter pit, etc. with the contractor.  The Engineer reserves the right to reject a contractor if such contractor is unable to demonstrate acceptable best practices for installation of a tap and protection of the public water system. Finally, the newly constructed line will be inspected for compliance and as-constructed plans will be submitted to the District for permit closing and issuance of a meter.


A service disconnection must be approved by the Board of Directors and will require a tap forfeiture.  The District does not facilitate the issuance of well permits.

Well Permits and Cross Connection Control

For abandonment of taps:  Board Resolution – Abandonment of Taps

For special circumstances:  Board Resolution – Petitions for Disconnection

Mechanical specifications for disconnection:  LMWD Disconnect Procedure

Board Resolution – Petitions for Exclusion

LMWD Petition For Exclusion

The District may or may not perform “locates”.  It is important for property owners and contractors to understand when a locate will not be completed by the District by reading the procedures below:

LMWD Procedure for Utility Locates